careless words
It doesn't matter when you are 4, 14 or 24, the same pang of fear strikes you when your parents quarrel in front of you.
I know how it would end. Painful silence that still stank of the angry words, the avoidance of eye contact, the uneaten dinner waiting expectantly on the stove. I am not exactly known for my restraint, and we can always match each other word for word. So why then did i refrain today? As you raved and ranted and rallied on at Mum. I could have retorted, i could have resisted. Asked you to stop a moment and reflect, raised stake for stake, and ridiculed your arguments. Maybe because today, i'm tired. And i know you are not yourself as well.
Lord, i pray for strength and patience this week so that i can give you my very best.
I know how it would end. Painful silence that still stank of the angry words, the avoidance of eye contact, the uneaten dinner waiting expectantly on the stove. I am not exactly known for my restraint, and we can always match each other word for word. So why then did i refrain today? As you raved and ranted and rallied on at Mum. I could have retorted, i could have resisted. Asked you to stop a moment and reflect, raised stake for stake, and ridiculed your arguments. Maybe because today, i'm tired. And i know you are not yourself as well.
Lord, i pray for strength and patience this week so that i can give you my very best.