audiophile
Sometimes, music sounds better when it's shared - through one set of earphones or in a room. It heightens intimacy and intensity - that's why strangers can act like life-long buddies or work themselves up into a frenzy during concerts. Music is personal. So personal that one can actually take offence if their taste in music is being put down. I like to think that you can tell what sort of person someone is by what they listen to.
It's amazing how some songs remain with you for years together. You never think of them during all that time. Yet one day, you hear it being sung live, or catch a bit of the interlude playing somewhere, you find yourself humming along like it was a tune from yesterday. You remember every variation, every word, every obscure little thing about it that you never heard consciously, even the first time around. And goosebumps wash over you like the visiting memories you never thought you had.
I believe we’re all wired differently, and some people experience things more deeply than others. Love of music might just be part of your wiring, like the way you can move your ears or curl your tongue. Some of us are just more porous; i was just built that way. I am easily moved by (what i deem to be) good musicians. Natalie Merchant is one of them. She's a storyteller, and her story is melancholy and compassion peppered with introspection. Her music is the opposite of a fickle mistress. It has a purpose, it speaks the truth, it makes you feel at home. It is a fixture in my rich inner world, like water or air.
We all carry corpses of our past relationships with us everywhere. And all it takes is a song to breathe life into them.
Every time i think of you
I get a shot right through into a bolt of blue
It's no problem of mine but it's a problem I find
Living a life that I can't leave behind
There's no sense in telling me
The wisdom of a fool won't set you free
But that's the way that it goes
And it's what nobody knows
And every day my confusion grows
Every time I see you falling
I get down on my knees and pray
I'm waiting for that final moment
You'll say the words that I can't say
It's amazing how some songs remain with you for years together. You never think of them during all that time. Yet one day, you hear it being sung live, or catch a bit of the interlude playing somewhere, you find yourself humming along like it was a tune from yesterday. You remember every variation, every word, every obscure little thing about it that you never heard consciously, even the first time around. And goosebumps wash over you like the visiting memories you never thought you had.
I believe we’re all wired differently, and some people experience things more deeply than others. Love of music might just be part of your wiring, like the way you can move your ears or curl your tongue. Some of us are just more porous; i was just built that way. I am easily moved by (what i deem to be) good musicians. Natalie Merchant is one of them. She's a storyteller, and her story is melancholy and compassion peppered with introspection. Her music is the opposite of a fickle mistress. It has a purpose, it speaks the truth, it makes you feel at home. It is a fixture in my rich inner world, like water or air.
We all carry corpses of our past relationships with us everywhere. And all it takes is a song to breathe life into them.