manners maketh man
One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone whips out their handphone in the middle of a conversation or they're constantly SMSing away distractedly. I have a love-hate relationship with SMS. It's the McDonalds of mediums; fast, cheap, empty. Perfect when you don't want a real meal, but not to be confused with actual communication. I've seen countless people who are more interested in that tiny little screen than actual human beings before them. Tunnel vision. It's all that they want to see. On the MRT, in lecture theatres, in restaurants, in the MOVIES. I don't understand why people pay $7 - $9 only to be SMSing away half the time. I know that because your backlight is in my face, stranger.
It's not the same as letting out a fart in a quiet room or burping in the middle of the sentence - God knows i've done these things and they are not within anyone's control. I'm fussy about your undivided attention when i'm in your company because i give the same to you. Really, i do. Very few people can fault me for not listening to them. It's not something i'm born with, that capability to give all my heart in every conversation with everyone. But i try. And when i ask you about your day, what hurts is when you give one word answers because you don't like to burden, because you want to give me a vacation from what burdens you.
I'll tell myself that it's okay, and i will keep trying and trying.
Til one day.
You might get just that - a vacation from me because i'll stop asking, caring, wanting. Whoever you might be. I'll take a vacation from your aloofness, your insincerity, and self-centeredness. You'll get your free paid vacation from me. So enjoy it, the sun, the text messages and the solitude. It's yours, my gift to you.
It's not the same as letting out a fart in a quiet room or burping in the middle of the sentence - God knows i've done these things and they are not within anyone's control. I'm fussy about your undivided attention when i'm in your company because i give the same to you. Really, i do. Very few people can fault me for not listening to them. It's not something i'm born with, that capability to give all my heart in every conversation with everyone. But i try. And when i ask you about your day, what hurts is when you give one word answers because you don't like to burden, because you want to give me a vacation from what burdens you.
I'll tell myself that it's okay, and i will keep trying and trying.
Til one day.
You might get just that - a vacation from me because i'll stop asking, caring, wanting. Whoever you might be. I'll take a vacation from your aloofness, your insincerity, and self-centeredness. You'll get your free paid vacation from me. So enjoy it, the sun, the text messages and the solitude. It's yours, my gift to you.
Labels: introspection