<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/8494642?origin\x3dhttps://casualpotpourri.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

a potpourri of sense and feminine lunacy

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

Dear Pa,

Remember the time we were having our dinner and watching the news at the same time, you gestured towards the tv with your fork and told me that i could be like her if i want to. The news broadcaster. I think i just turned 12. You wanted me to go to River Valley, Hwa Chong JC and then later to NTU to study Mass Communications, graduate with honours and get a job with the Chinese news channel. I'm sorry that i didn't fulfill any of them. I couldn't be your girl on tv.

You didn't stop working since you were 14, supporting your 9 other siblings and life was hard for you, Pa. I look at you and i know from whom i've gotten my temper, my love for language and learning, my cheekbones, sparkling eyes and ugly toes. I'm sure there's plenty more, and i'm learning more with each passing year. There are so many times we've exchanged harsh words and accusations, but we could never stop talking to each other for more than a day. Thanks for cooking dinner almost every night. The way you try to entice me to stay home for dinner by telling me that you're gonna cook crabs makes me wanna cry and laugh at the same time.

You DON'T have to do that Pa. I'll stay no matter what is on the dinner menu.

It is the simple things that give us joy - in coming back home after a long day in school and hearing you say with your eyes above your lowered newspaper that i'm just in time for dinner. I remember all the times we used to piece jigsaw puzzle pieces together when i was a little girl, your little girl, you'd do the background and i'd be in charge of the faces of Mickey Mouse and his gang. I bought you a jigsaw last year but up till today it is still untouched. I miss those times.

I love you so much. Happy birthday, Pa.

Labels: