over the week
Was preoccupied with my grandma's funeral and its finally..over.
There are things about wakes we don't get to see on TV, like how you are surrounded by rowdy laughter and the washing of mahjong tiles where an unmoving body lay. And how people scramble for 20cent coins wrapped in red paper because they bring luck and wealth, or how people look out for digits and buy 4D immediately ON THE SPOT. Right there. I saw it.
I appreciate what Choonlim said in the card he wrote as he was sitting there watching me and the rest of my relatives in those ritual chantings - the death of the soul is even scarier than the death of the body. The entire week when i was there, i looked like i had no idea what i'm thinking about..which i was actually. The place reeks not of death, but the decay of man's hearts. I'm afraid if i start to feel as i look around, self-righteousness and bitterness will manifest and it is a vicious cycle that i always get myself into.
Take the plank out of your eye, Mari.
I'll blog more soon, but right now i just want to thank all those who came down to visit me on Thursday - Joyce, Jasmine, Peiyi, Martin, the campus ministry, Northwest disciples, West sisters, East brothers and so on. The anxious missed calls, smses of love and encouragement. I don't even know some of the well-wishers that well, but they had cared enough to show that extra bit of concern. You guys know who you are, thank you so much. God is always faithful.
There are things about wakes we don't get to see on TV, like how you are surrounded by rowdy laughter and the washing of mahjong tiles where an unmoving body lay. And how people scramble for 20cent coins wrapped in red paper because they bring luck and wealth, or how people look out for digits and buy 4D immediately ON THE SPOT. Right there. I saw it.
I appreciate what Choonlim said in the card he wrote as he was sitting there watching me and the rest of my relatives in those ritual chantings - the death of the soul is even scarier than the death of the body. The entire week when i was there, i looked like i had no idea what i'm thinking about..which i was actually. The place reeks not of death, but the decay of man's hearts. I'm afraid if i start to feel as i look around, self-righteousness and bitterness will manifest and it is a vicious cycle that i always get myself into.
Take the plank out of your eye, Mari.
I'll blog more soon, but right now i just want to thank all those who came down to visit me on Thursday - Joyce, Jasmine, Peiyi, Martin, the campus ministry, Northwest disciples, West sisters, East brothers and so on. The anxious missed calls, smses of love and encouragement. I don't even know some of the well-wishers that well, but they had cared enough to show that extra bit of concern. You guys know who you are, thank you so much. God is always faithful.
Labels: life observations