sleepwalk
2:36am.
I had a power nap on my desk. There is no other sleeping position more uncomfortable than to rest your cheeks on your hands which are in turn resting on a hard pillow of notes.
A phonecall in the afternoon was all it took to make me feel unsettled and frustrated the whole day. I took a midnight stroll around my neighbourhood just now - something that i've always done for years when i needed a breather to sort out my thoughts. From the corner of my mind, i can hear my Mum naggin' about the perils of a young girl walking alone in the streets. Suddenly i am 16 again, defiant and clutching the house keys nervously, sneaking out like a cat burglar on the run.
The night is still. How many times have you read that phrase before but have you ever known how it really feels? I sit at the playground and i am in a limbo of my own creation. It is so quiet that it seems as though the very molecules which consistute the air around me have frozen in this moment and are awaiting a decision to proceed. The sigh of the winds and emptiness of the streets is enough to lull you to sleep even as you walk along them. I see lights in my neighbours' houses and it annoys me slightly to know that i'm not completely alone.
I felt hungry and decided to get a tomyam cup noodles from 7-11. Hot spicy soup. The perfect pint for a chilly night. I began to brighten up; something spontaneous is happening, legitimizing my midnight stroll. When i reached home, i walked straight to the kitchen, poured myself some milk and put some water to boil. I changed back into my nightdress, slipped on a pair of socks to keep my cold feet warm and sit back down in front of the computer. My screensaver blinks away happily, like an eager puppy welcoming me back home.
Welcome to my November, the first day of my study break.
Labels: introspection