my song
The new iPod Nano.
Ahh...the sweet smell of an unneccessary but oh so desirable accessory. Mari will be a happy girl if she can get her hands on one. My 4 year old pink MD player declined to be photographed. She was polite but firm. Music feeds my soul. I used to listen to a rojak of songs. No favourite genre, i tell the ones who asked. Just anything that agrees with my auditory cortex. Anita Baker, Minnie Driver, Gerald Veasley, David Gray, Dido, Rachael Yamagata, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band had once lived happily with one another on my playlist. Yes, i listen to mainstream music alot in the past and i'm not ashamed of it haha.
Emi Fujita remains the best recommendation from this Music Junction guy from Jurong Point. You can tell it's 10% sales speech (afterall they don't get commission) and 90% genuine passion about music. He must have spent like 20 min talking to me about obscure jazz albums and the like. Lionel sleeps to his punk rock, Jame with his black metal, Sean grooves to Britney and Kylie, and sad Cantonese songs are Grace's lullabies. Lovely. Everyone is different and that's what makes life interesting. I'm a lyrics person. Lyrics before melody and anything else. But any song with the sounds of a saxophone does get my attention and vote.
I am wary of anyone who says that they don't care one way or another for music. How do these people live??
They don't listen to radio, don't pump their fists in the air and go YES!! when they hear their song (oh wait, they DON'T have a 'their song'). They don't browse cd shops, stopping to decide which is the opportunity cost between 2 cds that you are dying to have, and eventually buy both anyway. They don't sing their favourite tune in the bathroom (okay maybe that's just me), never put a song on repeat mode before. No song has ever found a place in their red pumping organ, reaching in to tug gently at it's heartstrings or fill it with the heaviness of a ton of stones. No song has ever reminded them of The One. No song has ever caused fresh tears to spring to their eyes...has never transported them to a wondrous place of memory they have been but forgotten, even though they were just cruising along an expressway in their car or sitting alone in the upper deck of a bus with the wind blowing at their face. I hope you have had at least one such moment before.
You were the rolling tidal wave
That swept my barren shores
If you will let me share your day
My life's forever yours
I willl never understand the reason why
We fail to learn from our mistakes
I will wait for you as the days go by
With my dream though I am wide awake
-emi fujita's wide awake
This song is always for you. This song is you. I'm sorry for hurting you and everything else i should be sorry for. Life is beautiful like this. In a voice of an angel's, in a song that seems to be written for you when you can't find the words to say. Whatever you listen to - appreciate it, lose yourself in it. Life is a series of moments, and the ones I hold most dear are spent in the quiet of my bedroom with the lights off and the speakers on.
Labels: introspection